Wednesday, November 30, 2011

the tree, etc.

It's up, it's up! The Christmas tree is up! First we had to get one. Enter walmart, and we opted fake, an investment, but, don't fret - my mom got us a woodsy-piney candle to make up for it.

(also, please excuse the photos, I'm borrowing my mom's Canon Rebel, and I have absolutely NO idea how to use it)

I was feeling very traditionally classic with a hint of country this year. I just wanted to see some good ol' red and green, plaid and burlap. The burlap may be the only touch of country, but I just really wanted to use it as the skirt.

and a bow! I didn't want to commit to anything too serious for the tree topper, I couldn't make the decision, a star? an angel? a snowflake? too many choices, so I bought a roll of this flannel-y ribbon and topped it off with a big ol bow. It turned out great in my eyes!
I made most of the ornaments this year. It's a good starter kit, if I say so myself. I took this idea and made some bright green and lime colored ornaments.
I was on the line between making my own gold glitter ornaments and just buying ones on the shelf, then with everything at Hobby Lobby 50% off - it was totally not worth the time it'd take to craft my own. Sometimes, ya gotta go with your head.
Since Blake and I got married the weekend before Christmas last year, we got our fair share of Christmas ornaments as gifts and as I took them all out this weekend, I couldn't have been more happy about it. Here's one - bride and groom.

I glittered up some Dollar Store toys with some Mod Podge. I got a little lazy trying to attach a hanger, so this year they just sit on the branches. Maybe next year I'll make them official hanging ornaments.
I also bought felt to make the banner/garland. 4 for $1.00. I cut isosceles triangles and then hot glued them to a string of thick twine alternating white and red flags. It feels perfectly classic and home-y to me, I love turning the tree on every evening after work!

Here is my little helper elf, Dakota.
and, the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment