This little project has been 2 weeks in the making, maybe a bit more if we're including all of the constant home decor day-dreaming. I've been so into simple and clean lately, like wood tones, whites and black (or navy) kinda clean. Things have been coming off walls, and shelves like crazy over here in attempt to simplify life. So, with the mirror idea, I knew it had to be wood toned.
I've always loved the herringbone pattern, evidence here, so thought I'd give it a try.
Found this dreamy living room on Pinterest.
How hard could it possibly be? They did an entire floor!!
Turns out, it was pretty difficult.
1 sheet of hardboard
3 sheets of Lauan wood
a plain mirror with beveled edges
recycled a pair of Blake's old 1x2s to fashion a frame
I then spent way too many hours in a hot garage trying to figure out this mirror layout. I used Blake's miter saw to make a million 1 1/2 inch by 8 inch strips of Lauan. Laid them down, made more cuts, started to glue, made even more cuts, stained, and then finally laid the mirror on top of my herringbone creation.
|the colors photograph weird, but I think you get the idea.|
|The frame got an extra coat or two.|
Guys, I made a mirror.
Here's the saddest thing you've ever heard, after hours and hours of sweat and dedication, and a genius decision to not measure, the mirror was intended to go here. When attempts to situate the mirror on the mantel were made, it was quickly evident that my mirror was about 5 inches too tall. Somehow, this thing got massive.
So, instead it sits here, until a more permanent place can be found. I'm going back and forth on turning it horizontal, which might mean taking out some wall sconces. We'll see.
More practice for my soon to be design career!