Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hearst Castle, and Paso Robles

We got up early for the morning tour of Hearst Castle. I heard that this castle was must on the list of things to do in California. It was a fascinating place, a true castle, yet comparatively modern with it's hay day in the 20s and 30s. I could only imagine the parties held there with Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, FDR, and Winston Churchill. I mean, how cool. I always say it, but I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong era. 
The interior was sort of terrible, gothic and Mediterranean revival, but my favorite parts were the grounds outside, it took so much restraint to not cannonball into that pool, and the gardens were unbelievable. 
After the castle and lunch, we drove through the vineyards in Paso Robles. The drive was gorgeous. We stopped at a few wineries and tasted along the way back to Fresno. Justin Vineyards and winery came highly recommended, and did not disappoint. We brought home their wine glasses that apparently hold an entire bottle of wine (still need to test that). The last stop, Le Vigne, paired your tasting with cheeses. Hello heaven! 

No comments:

Post a Comment